DICE introduced the specialists in the new Battlefield 2042 gameplay video, and we learned their skills, specialization, and motivation. In Battlefield 2042 we won’t see the standard division into character classes (assault rifleman, scout, support, engineer). Instead the developers decided to follow the current trend and introduce the system of specialists in the game, similar to the one that was in Apex Legends or Rainbow Six: Siege. Each of them will have a unique character, specialization and abilities, and the weapons will be chosen by us. Unfortunately, this change was not liked by all fans. Therefore, DICE (the studio responsible for the game), in order to dispel all fears, decided to present how the specialists will affect the gameplay, in the following gameplay video (with the familiar theme music in the background).
If all goes according to plan, there will be 10 specialists in the game at launch. Others will likely join as part of the post-release content. So far, DICE has introduced us to five of them.
Battlefield 2042. The experts themselves introduce themselves as follows (descriptions taken from the game’s official website):
- Peter “Boris” Guskovsky is goal-oriented and self-actualized, Boris seeks to gain power and control in a chaotic world. While his leadership qualities may seem a bit aggressive to some, his skills in this area cannot be denied. He is equipped with an SG-36 turret that automatically detects and attacks enemy targets in a specific area. He can detect enemy targets when the turret is aimed at them.
- Webster McKay is a tourist, nomad and soldier. McKay is an asshole with a conscience. Following in his father’s footsteps, Mackay joined the Canadian armed forces as a teenager. At the height of his military career, he was a member of Joint Task Force 2 as part of a counterterrorism unit. Webster can fire a grappling hook that attaches to a surface and draws the player to the point of attachment. He is also very nimble, which allows the player to move faster in aiming mode, further increasing his advantage.
- Maria Falk is a veteran cheerleader. She has a strong will that is not swayed by danger, fear or position. A seasoned medic, she served six years in the German Army, traveling throughout North Africa and the Middle East in an effort to make a positive impact on the world. She is armed with an S21 pistol that fires syringes at allies to cure them. The syringe deals damage when it hits an enemy. As a combat surgeon he can bring allies back into battle.
Casper & Irish
- Wikus “Casper” Van Daele is a spy soldier, a loner and an unflappable, calm member of the Task Force. Wikus, a former intelligence agent in South Africa, is a master of disguise and long-range combat. He relies on an OV-P reconnaissance drone that can detect targets moving nearby and stun enemies with an electromagnetic pulse. It can also be used to mark targets for guided weapons. In addition, it has a motion sensor that alerts the player of approaching enemies when he moves and when he controls the drone.
- Kimble “Irish” Graves, a born leader, is the specialist commander aboard Exodus. A native of Brooklyn, New York, his natural leadership and combat skills help keep allies safe. A former Marine who has seen firsthand the cost of war, this seasoned engineer is dedicated to protecting both his squad and those who can’t fight for themselves. He has a deployable fortification system that protects against bullets and explosives, as well as an APS-36 that intercepts bursting projectiles. As a veteran he gets armor and a bonus for defeating enemies.